Cell: 604-855-2521 |

Beware of Undocumented Arrangements

I have another Q & A today...
Q: Many years ago we decided to share the expenses with our next door neighbor and drill a well. The well is on our property and our neighbors have free access to maintain their lines if necessary. Now we are thinking of selling our acreage and I wonder if we should do something about it before we sell. James B.
A: Hello James. This sounds like a good question for a lawyer. Over the years I have come across similar situations and from my perspective this looks like an issue of an unregistered easement. Your neighbor has been using part of your property for the purpose of supplying water to their property and even though you don't have anything in writing, it is likely that the easement exists (implied easement). My advice to anyone in this circumstance would be to inform the listing agent about this and make sure this is properly disclosed in writing to all potential buyers. However, the best thing to do would be to visit a Real Estate Lawyer for advice, because they may suggest that you register an easement on title.
Do you have a Real Estate question? Call me or email me your questions
Tibor Bogdan *Personal Real Estate Corporation
Sutton Showplace Realty
cell: 604-855-2521
TF: 1-877-858-2408
No comments

Post Your Comment:

The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver (REBGV), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB.