Cell: 604-855-2521 |

Buyers Beware – When Buying a Foreclosure. Read This!

Let’s say that you have put an offer on a foreclosure property, and it is accepted by both parties. Before the court date is requested the Seller (usually a Bank) asks you to sign a document called a “Schedule A”.

What is a schedule A?
This is one of the most disgusting documents you will ever see. It says that you are willing to take the house “as is, where is” at the time of the possession (the time you will get the keys). If the house is no longer there, or is damaged, vandalized, burned, flooded, is missing all the appliances…it is YOUR problem!

Why would anyone vandalize the house you bought?
Well, you need to remember that the people living in the house before you get possession are no longer owners – they are tenants living there free with absolutely no obligations to maintain the property. Sometimes these tenants are quite angry that their house has been taken away from them.

Thankfully we live in a part of the world where these things are rare.
But it is a scenario that exists, so you should prepare for it rather than ignore it. Talk to your Realtor about how to avoid problems when buying a foreclosure.

Do you have other questions in regards to foreclosure properties?
Send me an email and I see if I can help.


No comments

Post Your Comment:

The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver (REBGV), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB.