Cell: 604-855-2521 |

Great article from The Money Sense

Great article from The Money Sense ( online magazine )
If you’re a parent of a young adult whose home ownership dreams have been dashed, there is a way to help. In June, the maximum amortization period for insured mortgages was reduced from 30 to 25 years, making it even more difficult to manage monthly payments. But having a parent co-sign on the dotted line allows adult children with lower salaries to get into the housing market. It’s a trend that mortgage brokers expects to increase in response to the new rules. But is it a good idea?

 Before you put your John Hancock on that mortgage form, make sure you truly understand your child’s financial situation. “There’s a power dynamic that exists when a parent is heavily involved with a child’s financial life, It’s only advisable if you truly trust your child and know for certain that he or she is responsible with money.”
 If the child doesn’t pay the bills the relationship can be ruined, since the parent is on the hook, Parents also have to be in good financial shape themselves: if Mom or Dad has too many debts or bad credit, the lender will deny the loan, which could be embarrassing. Instead, brokers advise both parents and kids to be patient and wait until the child is able to qualify on his or her own. “To qualify for a mortgage,someone should be able to stand on their own two feet.”

No comments

Post Your Comment:

The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver (REBGV), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB.