Cell: 604-855-2521 |

How Growing Cannabis Can Effect Your Mortgage

Q: With the recent legalization of cannabis, any person can legally grow 4 cannabis plants per residence for personal use. I know that lenders have strong policies on issuing mortgages that were growing Cannabis. Have lenders updated their policies in this regards? - Peter

A: Thanks for your timely question Peter. I called Mr. Pat Pelletier from Dominion Lending Centres to help me answer this for you and here it is:
In lieu of the recent legalization of Cannabis the lenders have updated their Standard Mortgage documents to reflect their position on the issue. They have changed their Standard Mortgage to include the following. Whether it is enforceable in court is unclear, but here it starts.
"You certify that you have made reasonable investigations and inquiries and that, to the best of your knowledge, no part of your property or any land next to your property is, or has been, or will be, used to manufacture, refine, handle, treat, store, dispose of or in any other way deal with any substances, except as allowed by laws, regulations and orders, provided any growing, manufacturing, refining, handling, treating or storing of marijuana on your property is strictly prohibited whether permitted by law or otherwise."
Pat Pelletier Dominion Lending Centres http://patpelletier.com/
No comments

Post Your Comment:

The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver (REBGV), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB.