Hi Tibor! We need your help. Our family and income situation changed a bit and we are thinking of selling our house in February and we would like to buy one of the gorgeous homes up on Eagle Mtn. If you remember, our house is 30 years old and it will need some renovations. My question is, "What should or shouldn’t we do before we list it for sale?"
Hi Matt good to hear from you.
Some of the best things that you can do to improve the appearance of your house are;
1. Clean up your front landscaping. Landscaping is supposed to compliment the house but often is so overgrown that it has a life of its own and hides the house instead of showcasing it.
2. The next step is to DE-CLUTTER. Start in the garage and take out everything that you have not used in the past 12 months and put it in storage. Then go through the house room by room remove everything that would take away from the appearance of the room or the space. This includes, de-personalizing (taking down picture frames and knick-knacks)
3. Painting. Update the walls by choosing light and neutral colors. If you're not experienced at painting, hire a professional! There's nothing worse than paint drips and messy baseboards.
4. Change the light bulbs, and if your light fixtures are outdated - get a new one.
5. Clean your blinds and drapes.
6. Hire a duct cleaning company to clean the ducts and the furnace and change the filter. There is usually dust and pet hair that can cause your house to have unwanted odor.
7. Pay attention to your front door. There is a saying, "You don’t get a second chance to make a first impression." Make sure the hardware is functional and that the door is clean. Replace the front door Matt.
These are just few ideas how to get maximum price for your house.
When we are ready to list it, I will send Dianne (my professional Home Stager) to help you with the details.
Looking forward hearing from you,
What Can I Do To Prepare My Home For Sale?