Cell: 604-855-2521 |

When do you need a building permit? Part Two

~ When do you need a building permit? ~ Part Two


Last week I started to talk about building permits, and in Part 1 we talked about when a building permit is required.
Today we will talk about what the penalties and liabilities are. In case you have not read last week's article you can read it here.

So, what are the consequences of building/renovating without a permit? Here is the official version...

*Every person who commits an offence contrary to the provisions of this Bylaw is liable on summary conviction to a penalty of not more than $10,000.00 in addition to the costs of the prosecution.

Other possible consequences:
1. There are serious liability consequences if someone gets hurt. If you are building a deck and it collapses and people get hurt. Big trouble.
2. If there is a fire or something that results from it, your homeowners insurance can refuse the claim.
3. You may have to tear down the structure.
4. It may make it extremely difficult to sell your house and to have it inspected in order to do so.

Who is liable ?
*An owner is deemed to have knowledge of and be liable under this Bylaw in respect of any construction on the parcel the owner owns and any change in the use, occupancy or both of a building or structure or part of a building or structure on that parcel.
*If you buy a house that had work done without the permit by previous owner without your knowledge you are not liable.

It is important to note that in some cases you can get the building/renovation permitted after the work is done. But
remember that every municipality is different and while some of them may do it for you for a small fee, the others will make you take it down, apply and rebuild.

It is much easier to just get the permits.


Kind Regards,

Tibor Bogdan


No comments

Post Your Comment:

The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver (REBGV), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB.